We're seeking a supportive leader, passionate about mentoring and developing others. Your days will be filled collaborating with project teams, with fellow directors, and on new business. You'll provide strategic and art direction input across multiple projects. And provide design practice leadership to the entire studio. If you're a team player, a self-starter and a passionate design thinker with a proven track record in design leadership, talk to us today.
The Design Director oversees and coaches the design team, ensuring high-quality practices and outcomes. They collaborate with their fellow Directors to evolve and embed industry-leading design practice across the studio.
They oversee and contribute to specified projects, conferring with or escalating to other Directors as required. And they engage directly with clients to ensure successful communication of creative strategies and concepts.
- Identify design capability development and training opportunities across the studio.
- Ensure periodic review of design team’s approach and deliverables, identifying areas for consolidation or improvement.
- Undertake monthly 1-to-1 meetings with the design team, to provide mentoring, performance management and pastoral care.
- Promote knowledge transfer and best practice sharing between designers and into the broader studio.
- Define creative standards and processes, and ensure they are used consistently by teams.
- Collaborate with fellow Directors to identify preferred design practices, tools or technologies for use within the studio, drawing on internal project experience and external best practice.
- Lead creation of appropriate training material and tools to embody these process improvements.
- Lead training and coaching to embed these process improvements.
- All Directors are assigned to specific projects, to provide oversight and support.
- Consult on Reverse Briefs for new projects.
- Contribute to the Project Design process, and set expectations for the Directors’ engagement with the project.
- Support the Account Strategist in setting the strategic direction of the project.
- Ensure the solution addresses the strategic, business and user goals identified at the project’s outset.
As Design Director, you may be called into further engagement with individual projects:
- Coach team in the development of creative and design solutions.
- Lead the communication of concepts back to the client, or coach team in this.
- Perform Quality Assurance on specific projects’ design deliverables.
- Consult with clients to ensure effective capture of brand needs and design constraints.
- Support teams in the development of proactive ideas for key accounts.
- Support Account Leads in the development of key account strategies.
- Support Account Leads in building senior relationships with client organisations.
- Engage with senior members of the client team and stakeholder groups, advocating for positive project and account outcomes.
- Support Account Leads to sell new initiatives to clients.
- Support Client Services Director with new business meetings and presentations.
- BA in Graphic Design or related experience.
- 8+ years experience with interactive design, preferably having experience with a leading design consulting firm focused on user experience.
- Experienced digital designer with an understanding of the technological aspects of digital touchpoints.
- Proven leadership skills in introducing leading design practices into an organisation: Responsive Web Design, Lean UX, Human centred design, mobile design, performance-based design, etc.
- Business, marketing or advertising experience.
Like the sound of this job?